THE AREPA PLACE is a mobile food vendor specializing in a Colombian and Venezuelan dish known as arepas. In business since April 2016, we prepare our food at Findlay Kitchen to be served at Findlay Market, Fountain Square, and other nearby locations. Owner, Isis Arrieta-Dennis, is originally from Colombia. She and her mother, also named Isis, do all the cooking. Their goal is to prepare a delicious and authentic South American dish to be enjoyed by the people of the greater Cincinnati area.
What is an arepa?
This food and its name come from the indigenous cultures of what is today Venezuela and Colombia.
Arepas are round corn patties that are grilled and eaten almost daily in Colombia and Venezuela in the same way people in the U.S. eat bread with a meal. These arepas are often served with cheese, butter, or even avocado.
Arepas can also be cut open and filled with a variety of savory ingredients. This is known as the arepa rellena, or stuffed arepa, which is our specialty.
Arepas and More!
Our stuffed arepas are made the traditional way! First, we boil and grind the corn. After kneading the dough, we make the patties that are then grilled. Lastly, the arepa is cut open and filled with mozzarella cheese, black beans, fried plantains, and shredded beef or chicken.
We also make cheese arepas by mixing mozzarella into the corn dough before grilling the patties. It’s the Colombian version of a grilled cheese!
Each arepa comes with a choice of one of our four homemade salsas.
Lastly, we also serve delicious empanadas made from freshly ground corn. These corn pockets are stuffed with mozzarella cheese, shredded chicken, or ground beef before being deep-fried.
1719 Elm St.
Saturdays & Sundays, 11am - 4pm
Findlay Market is the oldest "continuously operated public market" in Ohio. Visitors will find fresh produce, crafts, live music, and a variety of food and drink options. Read more about Findlay Market Here
Strauss Troy Market
Tuesdays, 11am - 2pm
Every Tuesday during lunch, Fountain Square hosts local vendors who offer everything from fresh produce, handmade crafts, sweets and a variety of delicious foods. Strauss Troy
Walk on Woodburn
East Walnut Hills
Friday, April 20 6-10pm
Once a month East Walnut Hills invites you to join them for a Friday night out walk. They have live music, shops, galleries to visit and a lot of food to taste.
Jungle Jim’s International Market
Our arepas and empanadas can be found in the Hispanic frozen foods section at Jungle Jim’s (Fairfield and Eastgate).
If you would like to place a special order, please send us an email and you can purchase packaged arepas and empanadas from us at any of the above-mentioned locations.
Second Sunday on Main St.
Oxford Wine & Craft Beer Festival
Saturday, June 2 from 3-10pm
Latin Night at CWC, The Restaurant
Wednesday 25 from 5:30-8:30pm
Every last Wednesday of the month
Every last Wednesday of the month, The Arepa Place will pop up at CWC, the Restaurant to offer our delicious Colombian Street Food. Stay tuned!
- The arepa is filled with shredded chicken and/or shredded beef, black beans, mozzarella cheese, and fried plantains.
- The vegetarian arepa is filled with black beans, mozzarella cheese, and fried plantains.
- Each arepa comes with four different salsas on the side.
- The catering service includes foil envelopes used to wrap the arepas, napkins, plates, and forks. We can also bring tablecloths and serving tables, if necessary.
- One or two staff members from The Arepa Place will serve the food.
- We charge $15.00 per person in addition to a 20% service fee and a 7% sales tax.
Optional food items that can be included:
- Empanadas at $5.00 each along with a choice of one salsa.
- We require clients to reserve catering events by paying 50% of the invoice in advance.
- No catering charges are applied if cancellations are made at least seven (7) business days prior to the day of the event. The 50% down payment will be completely refunded.
- If the catering is cancelled fewer than seven (7) business days prior to the date of the event, there will be no refunds.